National Horchata Day has been celebrated every year on September 24th since 2001. On this special day, we highlight a drink that has graced many tables and brought joy to countless taste buds: the classic Mexican Horchata.
Horchata: A Tradition Enhanced by AquaTru’s Pure Water
Water purity is a crucial factor in amplifying flavors in any recipe. The cleaner the water, the more pronounced other ingredients become. This is especially true for drinks like the classic Mexican Horchata, where the harmony of flavors plays a pivotal role.
AquaTru’s innovative water purification system ensures that your drinking water is free from 83 toxic contaminants, including harmful PFAS ‘forever chemicals’. While traditional water pitchers merely enhance the taste, AquaTru purifiers remove 15x more contaminants. The distinction becomes clear when you taste something as delicate as Horchata. The sweetness of sugar, the warm aroma of cinnamon, and the creaminess of almonds are accentuated when paired with AquaTru’s pure water.
Why Choose AquaTru Water for your Horchata?
AquaTru is not just any ordinary water purifier. It employs an advanced 4-stage reverse osmosis purification system which has been independently tested to NSF/ANSI Standards. This ensures the removal of contaminants, transforming your tap water into crystal-clear, pure drinking water. When you choose AquaTru, you’re also making a sustainable choice, saving the environment from the blight of plastic bottles. Just one set of AquaTru filters can eliminate 4,500 single-use plastic water bottles!
Now, let’s get down to making that delicious Horchata!
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 cup whole raw, unsalted almonds (optional)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, plus more to taste
- 8 cups AquaTru purified water
- Combine the rice, almonds (if using), and 8 cups of AquaTru purified water into a large pitcher or bowl. Cover and let it soak overnight (at least 8 hours) at room temperature.
- Remove 4 cups of the liquid from the soaked mixture and set aside. Transfer the remaining ingredients, including the liquid, to a blender. Process until finely ground, about 2-3 minutes. If necessary, blend in batches.
- Strain the blended mixture using a fine-mesh strainer placed over a large bowl. Press down on the solids to extract maximum liquid. For an even silkier consistency, strain through a cheesecloth. Discard the solids. Add the reserved 4 cups of AquaTru purified water from Step 2.
- Incorporate the sugar and cinnamon. Pour over ice when ready to serve, and dust with some additional ground cinnamon if desired.
Note: For optimal taste, consume the Horchata on the same day. If stored in the refrigerator in a covered container, ensure to give it a good stir before serving and consume within 2 days.